Address: 179 Madison Avenue, Memphis
Architectural Style: Beaux Arts and Romanesque Revival
Original Function/Purpose: Commerce
History: The Scimitar Building was built by Napoleon Hill, the so-called “Merchant Prince” of Memphis, who was at the time the richest man in the city and owner of the Evening Scimitar newspaper. He lived in a Victorian mansion across the street from the Scimitar, on the present-day site of the Sterick Building. The Scimitar property, designed by the local firm of August A. Chigazola and William J. Hanker, housed the newspaper offices for almost a quarter-century. The building was purchased in 1924 by the Memphis Power and Light Company, and was the headquarters of MLGW from 1937 until 1970. It is now in private ownership and has been transformed into upscale lodging as the boutique Hotel Napoleon.
City Council District: 6
Super District: 8
County Commission District: 8