Preservation Posse: After Hours

A renovator’s happy hour & tour series presented by Memphis Heritage

Join us for Memphis Heritage’s brand new series of behind-the-scenes tours of historic buildings throughout Memphis, both pre- and post- revitalization. Hear directly from the owners, developers, contractors, architects, engineers, designers and craftsmen involved in bringing these one-of-a-kind structures back to life. This educational series invites historic architecture enthusiasts of all ages and backgrounds to learn more about preserving our city’s treasures over beer & wine in a casual and fun atmosphere.

Preservation Posse: After Hours is heading to the
W.C. Ellis Ironworks & Machine Shop!

Thursday, September 20, 2018 | 5:30 – 7:30 pm | 245 South Front Street

Memphis Heritage is thrilled to present our next Preservation Posse: After Hours at the W.C. Ellis Building! In operation on the same site from the 1870’s to 2016, the William C. Ellis and Sons Ironworks and Machine Shop was one of the earliest, longest-running businesses in Memphis. Once slated for demolition, Carlisle, LLC will soon incorporate the property into their innovative One Beale development. Construction of the transformative downtown riverfront development and the creative repurposing of the Ellis property is set to begin in January 2019. Join us to explore the property pre-renovation, and hear more from Chance Carlisle of Carlisle, LLC and others involved in this exciting adaptive-reuse project!

Doors open at 5:30 pm, introduction by Chance Carlisle starts at 6:00 pm.

Stop by after work- grab a drink and learn about the history and future of this incredible adaptive reuse project from the people making it happen.

Event generously sponsored by Architecture, Incorporated and HBG Design!

        

Photographs by Walter Arnold

All tickets now $15 at the door.

No need to print your ticket.
Once purchased, your name will be at Will Call the night of the event.

RSVP via Facebook and spread the word!

Remember, this is an active construction site! Dress comfortably.

The Front St entrance to the building is currently closed. Please enter through the courtyard off of Dr. MLK, Jr. Ave, between Front St and Wagner Pl.

Photographs taken from the National Register. 

History and Future of the
William C. Ellis & Sons Ironworks & Machine Shop

The William C. Ellis and Sons Ironworks and Machine Shop was one of the earliest, longest-running businesses in Memphis. The lot on which the foundry was built was purchased by W.C. Ellis in 1878. The original blacksmith shop once made wrought-iron straps for carriages and shoes for horses and mules. Although altered over time, the original shop still remains, as do the foundry and pattern house (both 1890), as well as the machine shops (1922-1925). The latter were historically used for the repair and building of agricultural machines, especially cotton compresses and railroad equipment such as brake shoes, switch parts and pump housing, but grew to include manufacturing for the river trade as well.

In December 2016, the entire W.C. Ellis property was purchased by Carlisle, LLC, a real estate and specialty hospitality company also responsible for the successful adaptive reuse of the Chisca on Main. After thoughtful investigation and the creative thinking of many partners, Carlisle plans to incorporate these structures into their long-planned One Beale development! One Beale will be a mixed-use, multi-parcel development comprising of a Hyatt Centric hotel, residential, retail and office spaces, along with a public parking garage. The 227 room boutique hotel will host 15,000 square feet of conference and meeting space on Beale Street and will include the renovation of the historic Ellis Machine Shop as part of its conference center.

Memphis Heritage thanks the Carlisle Corporation not only for hosting this event, but for their commitment to Downtown and the revitalization of our City’s historic architecture!

More information on the W.C. Ellis Building & One Beale:

 

DON NEWMAN