Patrick Hayley House

Status: Demolished; delisted July 21, 1980

Address: 604 Vance Avenue, Memphis

Built: ca. 1876

Architectural Style: Victorian Italianate

The Patrick Hayley House was placed on the National Register on Oct. 10, 1979.

History: The Hayley House in a then-upscale neighborhood was two-story brick Italianate with an L-shaped veranda and many ornamental details. Patrick Henry Hayley, a merchant, built the house in ca. 1876 but died in 1885 at the age of 50. His son William Henry Hayley headed the Memphis Chamber of Commerce for many years, and a Hayley family member was still in residence here in the late 1910s. In addition to being individually listed on the NR, it was included as a contributing property (No. 23) in the now-delisted Vance-Pontotoc Historic District. The photo above was taken on June 16, 1977 as part of a survey of Memphis buildings endangered by urban renewal. (That project was done in collaboration with the Tennessee Historical Commission; the records are now part of the Memphis Heritage Cultural Resources Survey in the Memphis and Shelby County Room of Benjamin L. Hooks Central Library.) Research has not disclosed how the house came to be lost, but it was removed from the National Register mere months after it was listed. The site is now a vacant lot either on or next to the northwest corner of Vance Ave. and Cynthia Place.

 

City Council District: 6

Super District: 8

County Commission District: 8

DON NEWMAN