Address: 2969 Court Street, Bartlett
Architectural Style: Central Hall Plan
Original Function/Purpose: Residential
History: Nicholas Gotten House was built in 1871 by Nicholas for himself and his wife Julia. Gotten immigrated to the United States from Prussia in 1854, and moved to Memphis and then to Union Depot in 1858. In 1867 Union Depot was incorporated as the Town of Bartlett, and Nicholas Gotten was elected the town’s first Constable. He patented a gin feeder in 1881, but could not afford mass production on a commercial scale, so the project was never profitable. He owned and operated a gin and mill until his retirement in 1910, when he sold the business and patent to his son. Gotten passed away in 1919, and the house remained in his family until 1948, when the City of Bartlett purchased it and used it for many years as a police station annex and jail. The Gotten House is currently leased to the Bartlett Historical Society, while the city remains responsible for the exterior of the house.
City Council District: N/A
Super District: N/A
County Commission District: 3