National Cotton Council Building

Status: Preserved

Address: 1918 North Parkway, Memphis

Built: 1955

Architectural Style: Mid-Century Neocolonial

Original Function/Purpose: Commerce

The National Cotton Council Building was placed on the National Register on July 30, 2012.

History: Architect Anker Hansen built this two-story office building in 1955 next to Snowden School and across North Parkway from the Memphis Zoo. The Memphis-based National Cotton Council was organized in 1938 to promote cotton, its products and its markets, including its exports following World War II. Its expanding programs spurred the NCC to construct new headquarters on North Parkway, one of Hansen’s few extant commercial buildings. The organization relocated in 2007 and the building has been repurposed to serve as student housing for nearby Rhodes College.

 

City Council District: 5

Super District: 9

County Commission District: 7

DON NEWMAN