Status: Demolished; delisted Nov. 9, 2007
Location: 821 Beale Street (bounded by Beale Street on the south, Walnut and Dunlap Streets on the west and east, and an alley and Union Avenue to the north), in Memphis
Built: ca. 1895-1906
Architectural Style: Industrial vernacular streetcar barn and repair complex
History: The Memphis Street Railway Company was chartered in 1895 and consolidated all of Memphis’s then-existing transit companies, which operated about 70 miles of track. Construction of the new company’s streetcar barns and office building began almost immediately. The barns were built in two sections, the northern portion holding offices and streetcar service and repair facilities, and the southern intended primarily for housing of trolleys and later buses. The buildings were vacated in 1981 when the company’s successor, Memphis Area Transit Authority, moved to a new location. The new owner, the University of Tennessee, demolished both the Victorian Romanesque office building and the southern set of barns, but continued to use the northern set of barns for another three decades as offices and repair shops. The University demolished this remaining set of buildings in 2014 for a parking lot.
City Council District: 6
Super District: 8
County Commission District: 8