Status: Renovation is planned.
Location: Cobblestone Landing, foot of Monroe Avenue at Riverside Drive, Memphis (future location following renovation)
Architectural Style: Diesel floating vessel, tourism
Original Function/Purpose: Transportation
History: The Memphis Queen II is a steel-body river vessel with two diesel engines built by the Dubuque Boat and Boiler Works, the prototype of a series of vessels that are practically unsinkable and highly fuel-efficient. She originally came with two decks, but in 1960 a new owner made alterations for passenger safety while maintaining integrity of workmanship and materials. In 1964 the vessel’s wheelhouse was relocated upward to a third deck to provide the pilot with a better view and to allow space for a concession stand underneath. She continues a Memphis excursion boat tradition beginning in 1917-1936 with Captain James Lee’s Lee Line, revived in 1952 by Captain Ed Langford and the Memphis Excursion Line, and continued by Captain Tom Meanley and his son-in-law John H. Lozier Jr. and daughter Dale Lozier. Among the many events in which the MQ II has played a major part was the Cotton Carnival, with the MQ II pushing the Royal Barge up to the Memphis Landing. She remains a member of the Memphis Riverboats fleet of excursion and dinner cruise vessels owned and operated by Meanley’s grandson Captain William Lozier, while being renovated to meet current U.S. Coast Guard requirements.
City Council District: 6
Super District: 8
County Commission District: 8