Location: South Parkway West and East, East Parkway South and North, and North Parkway, in Memphis
Built: ca. 1902-1914
Architectural Style: N/A
History: The Memphis Parkway System is about twelve miles long, and varies from 100 to 250 feet wide. It extends to the east from Riverside Park south of downtown to a point several blocks south of Overton Park, where it turns north as far as the northeast corner of the park, then runs west all the way back to downtown. The parkway is lined in places with residential structures of a wide range of types, in other places with educational institutions, parks, or trees, as well as commerce. Much of the parkway contains a grassy or landscaped median; one special feature is the “M”-shaped flowerbed on East Parkway South between Court and Madison Avenues. North Parkway includes a one-mile long section, the Speedway, between University and Stonewall Streets that from 1905 to 1910 was used by early automobile enthusiasts to speed as fast as they could.
City Council Districts: 4, 5, 6, and 7 (Similar lengths in Districts 4 and 5, shorter ones in 6 and 7.)
Super Districts: 8 and 9 (Similar lengths in 8 and 9.)
County Commission Districts: 7, 8, and 9 (Longer in District 8 than in the other two.)