Lenox School

Status: Preserved

Address: 519 South Edgewood Avenue, Memphis

Built: 1909

Architectural Style: Beaux-Arts Classical Revival

Original Function/Purpose: Education

The Lenox School was placed on the National Register on July 30, 1981.

History: Lenox School was designed by John Gaisford, designer of many private residences in Memphis as well as many churches in the region. When the school was built, Lenox was an incorporated town bounded by the area from Madison and Barksdale to Central and the Parkway, surrounded by farmland and working plantations. Its farm produce was shipped from its own rail station. The town of Lenox and its new school were annexed by the City of Memphis in 1909; the building continued to be used as an elementary school until 1973 and for special education needs until 1978. Two years later the school system put the property up for sale and the building has been renovated and converted into condominiums.

 

City Council District: 5

Super District: 9

County Commission District: 10

DON NEWMAN