Status: Demolished in 1983; delisted Nov. 9, 2007
Address: 995 South Lauderdale Street, Memphis
Built: 1902; additions in 1908, 1920-21, 1925 and 1957
Architectural Style: Early Twentieth-century Eclectic (Beaux Arts and Colonial Revival, etc.)
History: “Along with [other] public schools [built] in Memphis between 1902 and 1915, the building reflects the tremendous population growth in Memphis during this period and the great pride and importance the city and the nation placed in public education at that time.” Dating back to almost the turn of the century (photo above taken 1907-08), Lauderdale Elementary School was the oldest Memphis school still in use in February 1983, according to Principal Sara Lewis. One month later its students and faculty left it behind for a long-planned and eagerly-awaited new school next door. School board crews tore down the old structure, seemingly leaving its partial outline in the parking lot of what is now known as Ida B. Wells Academy on the same site.
City Council District: 6
Super District: 8
County Commission District: 8