Joseph A. Campbell House

Status: Preserved

Address: 215 South Center Street (formerly 215 South Street), Collierville

Built: ca. 1876, 1898-1899

Architectural Style: Queen Anne Cottage

Original Function/Purpose: Residential

The Joseph A. Campbell House was placed on the National Register on Mar. 29, 1991.

History: The J.A. Campbell House is an example of Queen Anne Cottage form of residence built ca. 1898-99 for J. A. Campbell, a prominent minister in the Disciples of Christ. However, the central hall plan here may be evidence of the conversion of an earlier structure, possibly ca. 1876, to the present Queen Anne appearance. The house offers a significant contribution to the variety of late-nineteenth century residential house types in the surrounding Collierville area, and the character they conferred on the town during the residential and commercial building boom of the period 1895 to 1920. The house is currently used as a restaurant serving Gus’s World Famous Fried Chicken.

 

City Council District: N/A

Super District: N/A

County Commission District: 2

DON NEWMAN