Address: 245 West Poplar Avenue, Collierville
Architectural Style: Colonial Revival
Original Function/Purpose: Residential
History: The John W. Thomas House was built from 1918 to 1920 for John and Lena Thomas, and is a significant element of the historic architectural fabric of the Town of Collierville. Mr. Thomas worked mostly in retail, first as a travelling salesman, then in the grocery and dry goods store of Hinton and Craig in town. The Thomas house is significant as a local example of the Colonial Revival style and for its association with the career of W. W. McGinnis, an important builder in Collierville and the eastern Shelby County area. Its design and detailing specified by Mrs. Lennie (Lena) Thomas, and its construction by McGinnis, reflect the builder-client relationship that produced much of the architecture of Collierville and other similar towns across the nation in the early twentieth century.
City Council District: N/A
Super District: N/A
County Commission District: 2