Address: 1750 Union Avenue, Memphis
Architectural Style: Gothic Revival
Original Function/Purpose: Church
History: Idlewild Presbyterian Church, together with an adjoining education wing, was designed by George Awsumb. The first worship service took place in the unfinished building on Nov. 1, 1926. The intricate stonework, woodwork and stained glass were executed by highly skilled craftsmen and contain various signs and symbols of the Christian faith. Carillon bells were added to the bell tower in 1982. The building was given the Design of the Decade award for the 1920s by the Memphis chapter of the American Institute of Architects.
City Council District: 5
Super District: 9
County Commission District: 7