Latest News

Guthrie Elementary School

Status: Demolished; delisted Nov. 9, 2007

Address: 951 Chelsea Avenue, Memphis

Built: 1915; additions in 1921, 1939, 1967 and 1971

Architectural Style: Beaux Arts

Guthrie Elementary School was placed on the National Register on Sept. 17, 1982.

History: This school was one of eight public schools designed by Jones and Furbringer between 1902 and 1915 (photo above taken 1914-15). Sixteen years later a reporter found it to be one of “the best all-around equipped” schools that he had seen during his survey. It was “blessed with the interest of two active groups,” the Parent Teacher Association and the Northeast Memphis Improvement Club, which furnished the school with “extra comforts.” It had a fine indirect and direct heating system, although some of the rooms lacked electric lights, a condition which should be remedied. The auditorium was a splendid one and had “been made a sort of community center, the Northeast Club and the P.T.A using it for meetings and social gatherings.” In fact, the Northeast Club planned soon to supply it with “a motion picture screen and a modern projection machine.” Construction of the school’s replacement began in 1998 and was completed in the spring of 2000. Clark-Dixon Architects said of the new building, “Given the residents’ deep connection to the original building, the new Guthrie Elementary was built to mimic the proportions and character of the original school.” It is now called Caldwell-Guthrie Elementary School, and still has the original address and main entrance façade.

 

City Council District: 7

Super District: 8

County Commission District: 7

DON NEWMAN