Goodwyn Street Historic District

Status: Preserved

Location: 333-565 Goodwyn Street, Memphis

Built: ca. 1850-55; ca. 1908-1935

Architectural Style: Colonial Revival, Tudor Revival

Original Function/Purpose: Residential

The Goodwyn Street Historic District was placed on the National Register on Mar. 9, 1990.

History: Goodwyn Street Historic District is in a section of Memphis historically known as Buntyn, named for Geraldus Buntyn and his plantation. The district is an elite residential area, although developed independently of the nearby Memphis Country Club and its socially prominent members. The Buntyn-Ramsay House at the center of the district (pictured) is a fine example of an antebellum plantation house, built ca. 1850-55. Relatives of the Buntyn family named Goodwyn inherited much of the property and established the subdivision.

Maps:

Outline of the Goodwyn Street Historic District.

Map of the district used in its National Register nomination.

City Council District: 5

Super District: 9

County Commission District: 10

DON NEWMAN