Glenview Historic District

Status: Preserved

Location: Roughly bounded by the Southern Railroad, Lamar Avenue, South Parkway East and the Frisco Railroad, in Memphis

Built: 1908-1968

Architectural Styles: Colonial Revival, Tudor Revival, Spanish Colonial Revival, Bungalow / Craftsman, Commercial

Original Function/Purpose: Residential

The Glenview Historic District was placed on the National Register on Oct. 7, 1999.

History: The Glenview Historic District is centrally located to many points in the city with easy access to major streets and highways. Established in 1908, the district is made up of the Glenview and Edgewood Manor neighborhoods. The community consists of 948 primary buildings and offers a variety of interesting historic homes built primarily between the early 1910s through the 1940s. Architectural styles are representative of early twentieth century suburban development. They include a concentration of bungalows, cottages, four-squares, and Colonial, Dutch Colonial Tudor and Spanish Revival styles. The Glenview Edgewood Manor Neighborhood Association also maintains green space, informs the community of important news and serves as an advocate on behalf of residents and businesses before local city council, county commission and state representatives. Glenview Historic District is one of the National Register-listed districts recognized (and protected) by the City of Memphis as a local historic district or Historic Overlay District.

Maps:

Outline of the Glenview Historic District.

Map of the district used in its National Register nomination.

City Council District: 4

Super District: 8

County Commission Districts: 8 and 10 (Divided about equally between districts.)

DON NEWMAN