Dr. Christopher M. Roulhac House

Status: Preserved

Address: 810 McLemore Avenue, Memphis

Built: 1914

Architectural Style: Vernacular American Four Square and Colonial Revival

Original Function/Purpose: Residential

The Dr. Christopher M. Roulhac House was placed on the National Register on Apr. 15, 2004.

History: Dr. Christopher M. Roulhac received his medical degree from Howard University Medical School in 1910 and arrived in Memphis in 1913 with his wife Isabelle. His early medical offices were on Beale Street, and he was surgeon at Mercy Hospital and taught at Dr. Miles V. Lynk’s University of West Tennessee school (both of them African-American institutions). Roulhac purchased the home on McLemore in 1926 when black professionals started moving into previously all white neighborhoods. This property is one of the rare black private homes on the National Registry. In 1933 Roulhac was appointed medical examiner for the Universal Life Insurance Company and had an office in their new building (predecessor to the present-day one). He served as trustee at Owen College before its merger with LeMoyne. After practicing medicine for over 50 years he died at home in 1965. Within walking distance of Stax Museum, the property has been converted to a bed and breakfast inn.

 

City Council District: 6

Super District: 8

County Commission District: 8

DON NEWMAN