Clarence Saunders Estate (Annswood; Lichterman Park; Lichterman Nature Center)

Status: Destroyed by fire; delisted Feb. 22, 2002

Address: 5992 Quince Road, Memphis

Built: ca. 1929

Architectural Style: Adirondack Rustic Architecture

The Clarence Saunders Estate was placed on the National Register on Nov. 13, 1989.

History: Clarence Saunders built a rustic-appearing 7,000-square-foot, log-veneer house as the Adirondack-style centerpiece of his 300-acre country estate Annswood, east of Memphis between Quince Road and Park Avenue. It was designed by the same architect responsible for the Pink Palace, Hubert T. McGee. The house and property were bought in 1944 by the Lichterman family, and in 1963 benefactor Ira J. Lichterman donated 12 acres of this park-like estate, as well as the house, to the City of Memphis. More land was purchased to enlarge the new “Lichterman Park” managed by the Memphis Park Commission. Serious development of the property commenced in 1977, and Lichterman Nature Center was officially opened in April 1983 and is currently part of the Pink Palace Family of Museums. Saunders’ historic log home came to serve as the facility’s visitor center, but was destroyed by fire in February 1994.

 

City Council District: 2

Super District: 8

County Commission District: 13

DON NEWMAN