Historic Properties

St. Mary’s Cathedral, Chapel, and Diocesan House (Episcopal)

Status: Preserved Address: 692, 700 and 714 Poplar Avenue, Memphis Built: Built in 1887 (Chapel), 1902 (Diocesan House) and 1898-1926 (Cathedral) Architectural Style: Gothic Revival Original Function/Purpose: Church History: The cathedral originated as a mission church organized by Calvary Episcopal Church in 1857. The original church was a small, wooden Gothic structure dedicated in 1858. St. Mary’s School for Girls opened ...

Read More »

Squire’s Rest

Status: Preserved Address: 8993 Barret Road, Barretville Built: 1920 Architectural Style: Craftsman Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: Built for newlyweds Paul and Sarah Barret in 1920, the Barret Homestead or Squire’s Rest is a one-story craftsman cottage significant for its relation to the life of Paul Barret. He is credited with creating The Barret Company, a dealer in cotton, and expanding his ...

Read More »

Shrine Building

Status: Preserved Address: 66 Monroe Avenue, Memphis Built: Completed 1923 Architectural Style: Early Twentieth Century Modern Original Function/Purpose: Commerce History: This property was designed by Hanker and Cairns, with Jones & Furbringer, to serve as a Shrine Temple as well as a commercial building. It would have stores on the first level and rental office space on upper floors, with Shrine ...

Read More »

Second Congregational Church

Status: Preserved Address: 764 Walker Avenue, Memphis Built: 1928 Architectural Style: Local church vernacular Original Function/Purpose: Church History: Second Congregational Church has been the chapel for LeMoyne-Owen College since the late nineteenth century. The current building by Frank Nesbit and Harold E. Smith is the oldest unaltered church in Memphis designed and built by black artisans for a predominantly black congregation. ...

Read More »

Sears, Roebuck and Company Catalog Distribution Center and Retail Store (Crosstown Concourse)

Status: Preserved Address: 495 North Watkins Street, Memphis Built: 1927 Architectural Style: Art Deco Original Function/Purpose: Commerce History: This was one of the first Sears stores situated in a relatively open area of the city that provided a large amount of free parking. It was the largest building in Memphis when it opened. This regional distribution center included a soda fountain, ...

Read More »

Sculptures of Dionicio Rodriguez at Memorial Park Cemetery

Status: Preserved Address: 5668 Poplar Avenue, Memphis Built: 1935-1943 Architectural Style: Cemetery; rustic landscape features in folk tradition Original Function/Purpose: Cemetery History: The Crystal Shrine Grotto (shown here) is one of several constructions designed by Mexican artist Dionicio Rodriguez for the Memorial Park Funeral Home & Cemetery in Memphis. Executed over the course of about eight years, Rodriguez’s contributions to the ...

Read More »

Scimitar Building (Hotel Napoleon)

Status: Preserved Address: 179 Madison Avenue, Memphis Built: 1902 Architectural Style: Beaux Arts and Romanesque Revival Original Function/Purpose: Commerce History: The Scimitar Building was built by Napoleon Hill, the so-called “Merchant Prince” of Memphis, who was at the time the richest man in the city and owner of the Evening Scimitar newspaper. He lived in a Victorian mansion across the street ...

Read More »

Rozelle Elementary School

Status: Preserved Address: 993 Roland Street, Memphis Built: 1914, ca. 1925 and 1930 Architectural Style: Jacobean Revival Original Function/Purpose: Education History: This school is one of few examples of seventeenth century Jacobean style architecture in Memphis. The 1914 school was designed by architects Walk C. Jones Sr. and Max Furbringer; additions followed in ca. 1925 and ca. 1930. One of the ...

Read More »

Dr. Christopher M. Roulhac House

Status: Preserved Address: 810 McLemore Avenue, Memphis Built: 1914 Architectural Style: Vernacular American Four Square and Colonial Revival Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: Dr. Christopher M. Roulhac received his medical degree from Howard University Medical School in 1910 and arrived in Memphis in 1913 with his wife Isabelle. His early medical offices were on Beale Street, and he was surgeon at Mercy ...

Read More »

Rock of Ages Christian Methodist Episcopal Church

Status: Preserved Address: 478 Scott Street, Memphis Built: 1955 Architectural Style: Neoclassical Original Function/Purpose: Church History: The present church sanctuary was constructed in 1955, above and around the site of an older edifice. The older building dated from before 1927, serving a congregation of the “Colored Methodist Episcopal Church” in the segregated neighborhood of Binghamton. Construction of the new building was ...

Read More »