Historic Properties

Randolph House

Status: Demolished; delisting date is unclear, possibly 1976. Address: 546 Beale Street, Memphis Built: ca. 1875-77 Architectural Style: Towered Italianate History: This house opposite Hunt-Phelan House, another National Register property, was built for Judge William Mortimer Randolph in ca. 1875-77; his son Wassall Randolph was born here. Wassall Randolph, also an attorney, served as president of the city’s library board ...

Read More »

Pippin Roller Coaster

Status: Demolished; delisted Mar. 21, 2011 Location: Mid-South Fairgrounds, Memphis Built: 1923 Architectural Style: Classic early Twentieth Century wooden roller coaster History: The Pippin Roller Coaster or Zippin Pippin was constructed in 1923 by noted coaster builder John A. Miller under contract to Lynn Welcher, a well-known concessionaire of the day. It was rebuilt after high winds and storm damage ...

Read More »

Memphis Street Railway Company Office and Streetcar Complex

Status: Demolished; delisted Nov. 9, 2007 Location: 821 Beale Street (bounded by Beale Street on the south, Walnut and Dunlap Streets on the west and east, and an alley and Union Avenue to the north), in Memphis Built: ca. 1895-1906 Architectural Style: Industrial vernacular streetcar barn and repair complex History: The Memphis Street Railway Company was chartered in 1895 and ...

Read More »

Linden Station and the Reichman-Crosby Warehouse (Beale Street Landing; Ellis Building, Bell Building, and Linden Building)

Status: Demolished after 2003; delisted Nov. 9, 2007 Location: 245, 281 and 291 Wagner Place, Memphis Built: 1905-1907, 1922 Architectural Style: Linden Station, Early 20th Century Commercial block; Reichman-Crosby, three-story Commercial Italianate History: One of these buildings was the Ellis Building at the southwest corner of Beale Street and Wagner Place, originally constructed for the Reichman-Crosby Company in 1922 as ...

Read More »

Libertyland Grand Carousel

Status: Dismantled; delisted Nov. 18, 2009 Location: Mid-South Fairgrounds, Memphis Built: 1923 Architectural Style: Standard carousel housing History: Libertyland Grand Carousel was built in 1909 in the Philadelphia workshop of Gustav Dentzel and his son William H. Dentzel. After it sustained fire damage in Chicago, it was returned to Philadelphia for rebuilding. It came to Memphis in 1923 as part ...

Read More »

Patrick Hayley House

Status: Demolished; delisted July 21, 1980 Address: 604 Vance Avenue, Memphis Built: ca. 1876 Architectural Style: Victorian Italianate History: The Hayley House in a then-upscale neighborhood was two-story brick Italianate with an L-shaped veranda and many ornamental details. Patrick Henry Hayley, a merchant, built the house in ca. 1876 but died in 1885 at the age of 50. His son ...

Read More »

Gartly-Ramsay Hospital

Status: Demolished; delisted Nov. 9, 2007 Address: 696 Jackson Avenue, Memphis Built: 1859, 1910, 1927 Architectural Style: Greek Revival with later modifications History: This was built as a residence for the Edgar McDavitt family in 1859. After additions and renovations by two Canadian physicians, George Bradley Gartly and Robert F. Ramsey, the building was converted into a 50-bed private hospital ...

Read More »

First Methodist Church

Status: Destroyed by fire; delisted Nov. 9, 2007 Address: 204 North Second Street, Memphis Built: 1893, 1924, 1955 Architectural Style: High Victorian Gothic Revival History: The church was organized in 1826. Beginning in 1832, over a period of sixty years a succession of buildings in the same location housed its congregation until the completion in 1893 of a large granite ...

Read More »

Robert S. Bowles Houses

Status: Demolished; delisted July 22, 1980 Address: 544-548 Vance Avenue, Memphis Built: 1876 Architectural Style: Victorian Italianate History: An early description of the Bowles Houses reads: “The three-unit brick row house on Vance Avenue was built in 1876 for Robert S. Bowles, a successful cotton broker. It sits on a raised foundation of brick which has been stuccoed and scored ...

Read More »

Zion Cemetery

Status: Endangered Location: Along the 1400 block of South Parkway East, Memphis Built: 1873 Architectural Style: Cemetery Original Function/Purpose: Cemetery History: After the Civil War, black Americans organized a burial association called the United Sons and Daughters of Zion. They purchased 16 acres outside city limits for use as a cemetery. This cemetery was active primarily between 1876 and 1925 and ...

Read More »