Address: 102 North Second Street, Memphis
Built: 1843, 1848, 1881
Architectural Style: Gothic
Original Function/Purpose: Church
History: Calvary Episcopal is the oldest church building in Memphis. It and St. Peter’s Catholic Church are the city’s only two remaining pre-Civil War churches. A striking example of Gothic architecture, the building is also one of only three remaining churches in the city built in this style. The church was designed by the congregation’s minister and amateur architect, Rev. Phillip Alston, and built by W. A. Rickford, one of the church’s communicants. The tower was added in 1848 and the chapel in 1881.
City Council District: 6
Super District: 8
County Commission District: 8