Bank of Commerce and Trust Company Building

Status: Preserved

Address: 45 South Second Street, Memphis

Built: 1929

Architectural Style: Neo-Classical Style

Original Function/Purpose: Bank

The Bank of Commerce and Trust Company Building was placed on the National Register on May 7, 1980.

History: The original Bank of Commerce and Trust Company Building of 1929 was designed by Hanker and Cairns, while the attached (but not nominated) office tower and parking garage were designed by Roy Harrover and opened in 1973. The original building has been acclaimed as one of the outstanding bank buildings of its type in the country for its construction and design. The Bank of Commerce later became the National Bank of Commerce, and later still SunTrust.

 

City Council District: 6

Super District: 8

County Commission District: 8

DON NEWMAN