Author Archives: MHI2016

Wildwood Farms (The Taylor Farm)

Status: Preserved Address: 2737 South Germantown Road, Germantown Built: 1935, ca. 1950 etc. Architectural Style: Colonial Revival-style horse stable and associated supporting buildings and housing Original Function/Purpose: Commerce History: Wildwood Farms is a 350-acre estate bounded by Germantown Road on the east, Crestridge Road on the south, McVay Road and McVay Trail Drive on the west, and Stout Road on the ...

Read More »

Wells School

Status: Preserved Address: 4140 Tennessee 205 (Airline Road; formerly 4140 Collierville-Arlington Rd.), Eads Built: 1924-1925 Architectural Style: Rosenwald School Plan Original Function/Purpose: Education History: Wells School was built between 1924 and 1925 with the help of the Julius Rosenwald Fund (JRF) and served as an African-American school until desegregation occurred in 1966. In 1915 Julius Rosenwald, a Sears, Roebuck and Co. ...

Read More »

Vollintine Hills Historic District

Status: Preserved Location: Roughly bounded by Brown and Vollintine Avenues to the north and south, and McLean Boulevard and Evergreen Street on the east and west respectively, in Memphis Built: 1946-1957 Architectural Style: Various: Modernist Ranch, Minimal Traditional, International, Colonial Revival Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: Vollintine Hills Historic District is a cohesive collection of 78 post-World War II homes centered ...

Read More »

Vollintine Evergreen North Historic District

Status: Preserved Location: Roughly bounded by McLean Boulevard and University Street to the west and east, Vollintine Avenue to the south, and the north lot lines of Sheridan and Barksdale Streets and Rainbow Drive to the north, in Memphis Built: 1914-1947 Architectural Style: Various: Eclectic style cottages and bungalows, English Tudor Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: The northern portion of this ...

Read More »

Vollintine Evergreen Historic District

Status: Preserved Location: Roughly bounded by Watkins Street on the west, University Avenue on the east, and Vollintine and Faxon Avenues on the north and south, including properties on short streets between Jackson and Vollintine Avenues north of the Rhodes College campus, in Memphis Built: Primarily early 1920s to late 1930s Architectural Style: Bungalow / Craftsman, Colonial Revival, Tudor Revival, ...

Read More »

Vollintine Evergreen Avalon Historic District

Status: Preserved Location: Bounded roughly by Stonewall and Evergreen Streets, Vollintine Avenue, and Cypress Creek, in Memphis Built: 1925-1947 Architectural Style: Minimal Traditional, Cape Cod Colonial Revival and other revival styles Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: This district is bounded by Stonewall and Evergreen Streets to the west and east, Vollintine Avenue to the south, and Cypress Creek to the north. ...

Read More »

Victorian Village District

Status: Preserved Location: 652-690 Adams and 669-688 Jefferson Avenues, Memphis Built: Mid-1800s to 1890s Architectural Style: Various: French and Italianate Victorian, Greek Revival Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: As a result of the city’s economic boom of the 1830s and 1840s, a few wealthy Memphians built grand, Victorian-style homes in what was then farmed countryside, far from the urban development of ...

Read More »

Universal Life Insurance Company

Status: Preserved Address: 480 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue (formerly part of Linden Avenue) at Danny Thomas Boulevard, Memphis Built: 1949 Architectural Style: Egyptian Revival Original Function/Purpose: Commerce History: Dr. Joseph E. Walker founded the Universal Life Insurance Company on Beale Street in 1923, a firm dedicated to “improving the economic condition of people of color.” Dr. Walker and his ...

Read More »

U.S. Post Office-Front Street Station (Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law)

Status: Preserved Address: 1 North Front Street, Memphis Built: ca. 1876, 1903 Architectural Style: Italianate Revival Original Function/Purpose: Governmental History: This property has served as a U.S. Customs House, Court House and Post Office. The original facility was built in the early 1880s, and officially opened in 1885. Covering 140,000 square feet on four floors, the Italianate Revival-style building was considered ...

Read More »

U.S. Marine Hospital Executive Building and Laundry-Kitchen (listed in 1980)

Status: Executive Building, preserved; Laundry-Kitchen, renovation is planned. Address: Metal Museum Drive (formerly 360 and 374 West California Avenue), Memphis Built: 1883-1884 Architectural Style: Vernacular Italianate Original Function/Purpose: Governmental History: Each of four surviving buildings once part of Memphis’ evolving U.S. Marine Hospital complex in the South Bluffs area has its own history, and each has been listed in its own ...

Read More »